Department of Chemistry

Credit by Exam or Transfer

ExamThe UNC Chemistry Department recognizes the transfer course equivalencies previously approved by the University. Follow this link to look up courses by institution. If a student plans to take a course at another institution in the future, and it is not listed at the above site, that student should follow the advice of the Academic Advising Program and submit a Course Approval Form before taking the course.

If the course was taken in the past at a different institution but is not listed as previously approved, this is how to gain equivalency:

For Introductory Chemistry (Chem101, Chem102 and labs), Analytical Chemistry (Chem241), Organic Chemistry (Chem261, Chem262, and lab), and Biochemistry (Chem430) students must take a placement/competency exam given by the chemistry department. If passed, this would show the student's knowledge of the material, and the department will issue an explanation letter to the appropriate academic unit, e.g. Registrar's office, Academic Advising, Graduate program in Pharmacy.

The placement/competency exams will be given the day before classes begin for the fall and spring semesters. The fall semester exams will be given on Monday, August 17, at 8:30 am in Venable/Murray room G202. To sign up for the exams please visit this website.

The exams will only be given if there are students interested in taking them. Students should email to ask questions about the exams. There is no fee for this service, but students may only attempt each exam once.